Get me outta here!

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Soul Rebel - A Review


‘sup people! It’s been a minute. How y’all holding up? Good? Great. Now y’all know how much I love Kendrick Lamar. Yes, I love the guy. I think he’s what 2Pac never became. Yes, I said that. So the other day I stumbled upon an artist by the name of John Givez, and thought he really would give Lamar a run for his money if they faced off in a rap battle. I needed to get approval from a hip hop connoisseur before I flung such wild statements anyhow. I mentioned a while back that I was introduced to Lamar’s music, but I never mentioned by who. Derek (he hates it whenever we spell his name this way) introduced me to Lamar, and besides his very very brilliant insight on life and all, he really knows his music. He is a remarkably good writer too. Enough with the niceties, here’s Derek’s take on Givez’s album, Soul Rebel.
*
My phone buzzes.

Message from Xavi(er)

I go ahead and open it up.

‘Dude! I think I found a better rapper than Kendrick Lamar!’ (This quote isn’t verbatim, but I think that’s what he implied)

Before we go any further, let me introduce myself. The name’s Derrick. I’ve known Xavier for about forty three years now, and I’ve come to respect him as both a person, and a friend. I’m a bit of a witty fella. Manchester United die-hard fan, a lover of good hip-hop, neo-soul, deep house and party jams. My first love though, is hip-hop - majorly J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar. So, imagine my surprise when Xavier said that.

‘Are you sure?’  I asked back, typing with escalated skepticism and excitement. First, I know Xavier never pulls my leg. If he says something, it probably is already a fact. However, in my head, Kendrick is the apex of rap- it doesn’t get better than that! It did get interesting however, when he replied.

‘This kid- John Givez- Even Lecrae says his album Soul Rebel was a concrete reply to Kendrick’s Good Kid Maad City’. We debated these claims for a minute or so but I trusted my curiosity and looked him up on YouTube. Wow! I knew I had to get more!

I therefore looked up Givez on Wikipedia. Cousin to JGivens and part of some super rap group – Dream Junkies. Givens is this crazy-cryptic rapper: extremely good, but too cryptic. Story for another day.
 
Let’s get to breaking down Soul Rebel.

The album begins with a skit, the voices of a young woman discussing Givez with a male counterpart. She seems unconvinced of Givez talent, unconvinced of his beliefs and once quoted speaking of Givez misgivings with her ‘home girl’. The male seems indifferent- on the fence even- about how he personally feels about Givez. He and the woman resolve to listen to the album to make up their minds.

The album uses a classic feel, with jazzy accompaniment to a well-paced percussion. The composition and compilation is meticulous, allowing the story Givez is telling to flow smoothly.  This was comparably, the same method used in the production of Good Kid Maad City.

Givez proceeds to narrate his life story down from Elementary Trill, talking about his younger years, the struggle of a young black child in the American society. He speaks of a preacher father who was a firm believer in the usage of a belt and a brave heart mother who had two jobs. He speaks of being put in the position of choosing between being a Crip or a Blood at such a young age. In 2004 he speaks of his later, possibly teenage years, and the peer pressure he felt of being a ‘playa’. He goes ahead to subtly, in Da Art of Storytellying Pt. 5 talk about how he broke his virginity and bragged about it to his friends. In the songs thereafter, he goes on to experience what the ‘playa’ lifestyle had to offer, their encounters with the police and how he felt he was riding on the prayers of his mother to get by. In Chapter 29, he breaks down and prays openly to God, quoting Jeremiah 29 verse 11, and this begins his transformation into the man he is.

This album is the rebellion of one man from a culture that glorifies ‘playa’ personality, gang violence, and objectification of women, drugs, and alcohol. He chooses to rise and stand above these cultures he grew up believing and witnessing, choosing to be the outcast.

Well, he’s not as good as Kendrick Lamar, but he’s close. For a rapper who is a Christian, he really pushes the boundary and raises the standards for everyone around him. This album, Soul Rebel, is proof that rappers with Christian beliefs refuse to be held back within the confines of the industry and- a sometimes critical- church. They show that they are willing to aggressively maintain the faith while using their own life experiences to reach out and touch their audience through contemporary styles, and this itself, is progression. This album was a 4.3/5. Definitely a must listen. Oh, and buy the album, support the artist and his mission.
*
Derek doesn't run a blog. I think it's stupid that he doesn't. Start your own blog, Derek!  




0 comments:

Post a Comment