Get me outta here!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

My Top Ten



Hi guys? It’s been a long while since I put new content up here, but today it all changes. A lot has been happening in my life ever since my last post; school, practice, love…but I’ll save you from my boring stories and get straight into today’s post.
So, my friends have always been surprised by the kind of music I listen to, some terribly, with a number asking me to recommend some music to them. Well, earlier this week I sat down and tried coming up with a list of my favorite artists and bands, and would gladly love to share it with you. So, let’s get on with it already!

DISCLAIMER
*The following list follows no particular order. The artist listed first appeals to me just as much as the one coming last…except for Diana Nduba. Diana Nduba is AMAZING!!!*
10.       RED
 Arguably the most renowned Christian rock band (SKILLET and Switchfoot being the only worthy competitors), RED is one of the awesomest rock bands in the world. Whether you share their faith or not, any lover of music will agree that RED‘s music is of a special kind. Incredible guitar riffs and soulful, melodic choruses characterize the band’s music. That and their subtle Christian lyrics make the band command a great following.
Songs worth checking out: Already over, Breathe into me, Lie to me, Never be the same 



9.         J.J. Heller
I fell in love with J.J.’s music the very first time I heard “Small” play on the radio. Her sweet, calm, assuring voice and beautiful lyrics are…just to sweet to ignore.
Songs worth checking out: Small, Control, Save me, Boat song, Back home
10.       Tenth Avenue North
What? I repeated number ten? No I didn’t! haha. What can I say? T. A. North rock! Whether it’s worship they are leading, or rock they’re doing, the band just gets it right. Plus, they do it for Jesus!

Songs worth checking out: By your side, Worn, The Struggle, Love is here, Beloved
9.         Jamie Grace
Who doesn’t like Jamie? She’s also veeeeeeeery pretty.
Songs worth checking out: Hold me, Beautiful day, Holding on and this
8.         Fireflight
What’s a Xavier list without Fireflight? Seriously, what?
Songs worth checking out: Now, More than a love song, Desperate, For those who wait…argh! ALL FIREFLIGHT SONGS!

8.         Trip Lee
“…every time I fall, He’s gonna pick me up, the Lord is my shepherd homie He’s gonna pick me up. I fell into the trap again but He’s gonna pick me up, reminds me of His promises in Him I put my trust…”
Trip Lee is genius! Guy can rap! The first time I loudly played a Trip song around Dennis Shitambasi Lusigi he was all, “Siku izi unaskizanga T.I.?” (You listen to T.I. these days?) Well I’ll tell you Trip is as good as, if not better than, T.I.
Songs worth checking out: Falling, I’m Good, One Sixteen, Beautiful life, Heart Problem

7.         Stephanie Meier
During my first semester in college, I stumbled onto a godtube channel. I don’t know how, but I just did. Stephanie’s rendition of RED’s “Breathe into me” really impressed and made me search for more of her music. I initially did not know that Stephanie had her own music projects, so it was a wonderful surprise when I came across her website. Greatly touched by Stephanie’s story and inspired by her heart for God, I left a comment on the website and Stephanie, to my surprise, replied and even offered to send me a copy of her second album for FREE!!! How awesome is that? Trust me she does pretty good music.
Songs worth checking out: Walking on water, My world, Diamond in the rough
7.         Krystal Meyers
 I do not know where Krystal disappeared to, but she surely left us with some pretty awesome music. This girl did everything! Rock, rap, worship, rap…no, she didn’t do rap, but still, Krystal was/is really fantastic.
Songs worth checking out: Live, You’ll never know, The Situation, Shine, Beauty of Grace
7.         Barlow Girl
You’re probably wondering how many times I’ll repeat number seven. Well, A LOT! Barlow Girl is one of the first bands I ever got to listen to so their style has played a huge part in my choice of music. Though disbanded, they remain one of the best Christian sounds out there.
Songs worth checking out: Never Alone, My God’s Enough, Grey

7.         Kanjii
The first Kenyan artist on my list. Kanjii is phenomenal! His voice is just fantastic.
Songs worth checking out: You’re love has set me free, Zaka, Under the rock, Push on, Leo, Just a man
 7.         Ivoryline

Ivoryline is basically the best band I’ve come across over the past two years. Their music is catchy, rocks and praises God! What more could you ask for?
Songs worth checking out: Instincts, Search me out, Vessels, Hearts and Minds, Bravery, The Healing, Left Us Falling, Made from Dust

6.         Derek Minor
Another rapper. Derek is awesome. I love his slow flow…and he floating so hiiiiiiiigh, you can’t bring him down.
Songs worth checking out: Hot Air Balloon, Gimmie, Ready Set Go, IGWT
5.         Love & Death
Now this is where a number of my friends and I differ. Is metal pleasant to listen to? I say yes. L&D is the hardest Christian  metal band I know off. Well, not really, coz there’s Oh, Sleeper and Becoming the Archetype and Demon Hunter and…know what, Love & Death rocks!
Songs worth checking out: Empty, Paralyzed, The Abandoning, Chemicals
4.         Lecrae
I didn’t know who to place higher between ‘Crae and Andy, but there, Lecrae. Do I really have to say anything about Lecrae? No? Great.
Songs worth checking out: Every song ‘Crae features in…EVERY!!!...start with Fuego and The Fever
3.         Kari Jobe
Kari Jobe’s singing thrusts you right at the feet of God. Girl has a voice!
Songs worth checking out: Here, Revelation Song, Steady my Heart, Find You on My Knees, What Love is This, We Are
3.         Diana ‘Dee’ Nduba
Deeeeeeeeee. This girl has the best voice in the world. THE BEST!!!!
Songs to check out: Too good and Have a wonderful Christmas feat. Just A Band.
2.         Andy Mineo
“YOU CAN’T STOOOOOOOP MEEEEEEE!!!!” haha. I love Andy. ‘Crae gave him to us and we’ll forever be grateful.
Songs worth checking out: You will, Neverland, Paisanos Wylin, Rewind, Take me Alive
  1.   Wolves at the Gate
And my favorite artist/band is *drumrolls* Wolves at the Gate!!!!!!!! *cheers**fierce clapping* In fact, stop reading this and go check out Wolves at the Gate right now! STOP READING!!!!!


Check out WATG’s Captors album and their new album VxV.

The following bands/artists are also very solid, but ultimately did not make it into my list. Check them out too!

  • ·         Addison Road


  • ·         Cloverton


  • ·         Run Kid Run


  • ·         Anberlin


  • ·         P.O.D.


  • ·         Guvna B


  • ·         Philmont


  • ·         The Afters


  • ·         We As Human


  • ·         Spoken


  • ·         The Letter Black


  • ·         Sent By Ravens


  • ·         Disciple

And that is my top t…well, top ‘ten’ favorite artist list. I hope their music blesses your hearts and ears as much as it has mine. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment