Get me outta here!

Friday, December 28, 2012

2012


2012. The year of Japanese internet sensations and second office terms. Of Argentine’s (Lionel Messi and Musalia Messi) and maiden European titles. Of skinny jeans and twitter. It was as well the year earth, according to some ancient rainforest tribe, was supposed to have obliterated itself calling time on existence as we know it. This year has had its jokey, poignant and incredible moments, all which we will one day, sitted besides a bonfire, recount to posterity.

My year has been a heady blend of simple and wild! Life served me implausible lessons as it brought all kinds of people and experiences across my path. Regardless of all that, I got to witness God’s kindness in my life in numerous ways. I started off the year on a rather sad note. My first of January was spent in hospital and hardly a month afterwards, I lost a close friend when my then girlfriend and I went our separate ways. Then it happened; Aguero’s final minute strike that snatched the Premier League trophy from United. To put it bluntly, I was a wreck all through the opening four months of 2012. Sentiments I never knew existed in me splayed themselves for the world to see as I waded through the disheveled waters that were my most awful instances in the year.

Yours trully’s social life was also rattled quite positively in 2012. I made a number of friends which, actually, is reasonably remarkable considering my rather recluse personality. On matters the heart, I finally got the pluck to talk up my crush (Yes, you can now clap.) and no, I didn’t tell her she has beautiful hair and an equally beguiling smile.

My dream of playing in a band was yet again not fulfilled this year but still I stumbled upon a lot of good music and artists this year, Kari Jobe and Plumb being my favorite.  New albums from more mainstream acts like Fireflight and Jesus Culture, and bands I had never heard of before, like Bethel, Ivoryline, Icon for hire and Pivitplex, ensured song lyrics remained the number one thing my brain is crammed with.  A number of amazing bands also came to an end this year. Barlow Girl tops this list. The rocking all-girl band, after hitting us with incredible jams over the years gave music a rest.  Other notable names include Addison Road, David Crowder Band, Underoath, Sent by Ravens and Philmont.

I got to learn Portuguese and how to swim this year as well. Quite tough, and though still rusty in my speaking, I can now atleast yell 'SOCORRO' instead of 'HELP' while drowning. School got me reading quite a lot this year and, thankfully, I chanced upon some delightfully written books, facebook notes and blog posts, particularly a beautiful blog called Penstrokes which I’d call on you to take a look at. Also, 2012 saw me try out some amateur blogging of my own.

Yet again, God showed Himself significantly to me this year. No, I still did not meet my future wife, but things have been happening in my life and to say the truth, I’ve known a lot more about God this year. Even though I still dishearten Him with my grimy actions, Jesus’ love and compassion have enclosed me more this year and my hope is that as he helps me mature, I’ll grow to be more like him.

Finally, this year I got closer to my mum, dad and brother like I had never done before and I experienced and got to know the joy of family incrediblly. No matter how callous the times are or bad a state your life is, the love found in coming together as family is enough to lift one out of any blip. So as we usher in another new year, I pray all of you and your families have a tremendous 2013  :)      

0 comments:

Post a Comment